SUMMER RECIPES from Chef Doug
You can find him at www.funwithfoodcatering.com
Grilled Flank Steak
yield: Makes 4 servings
• 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
• 1 (1-lb) piece flank steak, halved lengthwise (along the grain)
Stir together 2 teaspoon thyme, 1 ½ teaspoon pepper, and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Pat steak dry and rub both sides with thyme mixture.
Char Grill 4-5 minutes on each side.
Transfer to a cutting board and let stand, loosely covered with foil, 5 minutes.
Holding a knife at a 45-degree angle, cut steak across the grain into thin slices and arrange on platter with the tomato corn salad. Pour any juices accumulated on cutting board over meat and serve sauce on the side.
Summer Corn Salad Recipe
• 4 Servings
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
• 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
• 1-1/2 cups fresh corn
• 1-1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber
• 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
• 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
• In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice, salt, pepper sauce and 4 teaspoons oil; set aside.
• In a large skillet, saute corn in remaining oil until tender. Transfer to a salad bowl; add the tomatoes, cucumber, onion and basil. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
• Let stand for 10 minutes before serving or refrigerate until chilled. Sprinkle with cheese just before serving.
Pesto, Fresh Mozzerella and Tomato Crostini
Servings: Makes 24 crostini
• 1/2 loaf of baguette
• 2 Tbsp. olive oil
• 12 cherry or grape tomatoes , halved
• 12 bocconcini (small mozzarella balls), halved
• 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
• 4 grinds freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup pesto
Heat the oven to 375??. Slice the baguette into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place on a baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Bake until golden and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
Once the bread is toasted, spread pesto onto each crostini. Top each piece with one half each of the tomato and bocconcini. Drizzle each with some of the remaining tablespoon of oil and season with the salt and pepper.
Pop back in the oven for 1 minute until heated through
• 1/2 cup pine nuts
• 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
• 5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 cups Extra Virgin olive oil
• 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Place the pine nuts, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 30 seconds. Add the basil leaves, salt, and pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for a minute.